[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0191: Eliminate IndexDistance from Collection

Guillaume Lessard glessard at tffenterprises.com
Mon Nov 27 19:58:24 CST 2017

> On Nov 27, 2017, at 18:34, Douglas Gregor via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>
> Hello Swift community,
>
> The review of SE-0191 "Eliminate IndexDistance from Collection" begins now and runs through December 3, 2017.
[snip]
> • What is your evaluation of the proposal?

I approve heartily.
I previously complained about this on the swift-users list, making mostly the same arguments against the idea of not using Int. The best argument against that I know is a file-mapping collection on a 32-bit platform; if this matters, IndexDistance could simply be Int64 instead of Int.

> • Is the problem being addressed significant enough to warrant a change to Swift?

Yes! This mystery type does not justify the difficulty it engenders.

> • Does this proposal fit well with the feel and direction of Swift?

I think so.

> • If you have used other languages or libraries with a similar feature, how do you feel that this proposal compares to those?

This is getting pretty swift-specific.

> • How much effort did you put into your review? A glance, a quick reading, or an in-depth study?
> More information about the Swift evolution process is available at

This proposal resonates with my experience with programming generic Collection code in Swift.

Cheers,
Guillaume Lessard