[swift-evolution] [Pre-pitch] Conditional default arguments

Douglas Gregor dgregor at apple.com
Mon Nov 27 12:50:02 CST 2017

> On Nov 24, 2017, at 3:11 PM, Matthew Johnson via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>
> As mentioned in my prior message, I currently have a PR open to update the generics manifesto (https://github.com/apple/swift/pull/13012 <https://github.com/apple/swift/pull/13012>).  I removed one topic from that update at Doug Gregor’s request that it be discussed on the list first.
>
> The idea is to add the ability to make default arguments conditional (i.e. depend on generic constraints).  It is currently possible to emulate conditional default arguments using an overload set.  This is verbose, especially when several arguments are involved.  Here is an example use case using the overload method to emulate this feature:
>
> ```swift
> protocol Resource {
>   associatedtype Configuration
>   associatedtype Action
> }
> struct ResourceDescription<R: Resource> {
>   func makeResource(with configuration: R.Configuration, actionHandler: @escaping (R.Action) -> Void) -> R {
>     // create a resource using the provided configuration
>     // connect the action handler
>     // return the resource
>   }
> }
>
> extension ResourceDescription where R.Configuration == Void {
>   func makeResource(actionHandler: @escaping (R.Action) -> Void) -> R {
>     return makeResource(with: (), actionHandler: actionHandler)
>   }
> }
>
> extension ResourceDescription where R.Action == Never {
>   func makeResource(with configuration: R.Configuration) -> R {
>     return makeResource(with: configuration, actionHandler: { _ in })
>   }
> }
>
> extension ResourceDescription where R.Configuration == Void, R.Action == Never {
>   func makeResource() -> R {
>     return makeResource(with: (), actionHandler: { _ in })
>   }
> }
>
> ```
>
> Adding language support for defining these more directly would eliminate a lot of boilerplate and reduce the need for overloads.

If one could refer to `self` in a default argument (which is not a big problem), you could turn the default into a requirement itself… although it doesn’t *quite* work with your example as written because it would always need to be implemented somehow:

> protocol Resource {
>   associatedtype Configuration
>   associatedtype Action
    func defaultConfiguration() -> Configuration
    func defaultHandler() -> ((R.Action) -> Void)
> }

>  Doug mentioned that it may also help simplify associated type inference (https://github.com/apple/swift/pull/13012#discussion_r152124535 <https://github.com/apple/swift/pull/13012#discussion_r152124535>).

Oh, I thought this was something related to choosing a defaults for associated types, which might have helped with my current associated-type-inference quandary. The topic you actually wanted to discuss is disjoint (sorry).

	- Doug