[swift-evolution] Proposal: Introduce User-defined "Dynamic Member Lookup" Types

Tino Heth 2th at gmx.de
Mon Nov 27 04:56:13 CST 2017

> The implementation is straight-forward and (IMO) non-invasive in the compiler.
At least it’s smaller than I would have expected — but I don’t have the overview to judge the consequences to the compiler.

However, the impact those two proposals have on Swift is imho huge, and as the whole story is quite special for several reasons, there’s an elephant in the room that shouldn’t be ignored:
- What would you do if the proposal isn’t accepted?
- What does core think you would do in this case?
- What impact will that speculation have on the decision?
I can’t see what’s happening behind the scenes (basically, everything beyond the ML), but those non-technical questions might have a big impact if people construct their own narratives.

Besides that general concern, I think the whole „dynamic Swift“ topic shouldn’t be rushed:
How about keeping it in a public branch, so that users of script languages (not only Python) can play with it, and use that experience to decide the question in the Swift 6 timeframe?