[swift-evolution] [Pre-pitch] Conditional default arguments

Tony Allevato tony.allevato at gmail.com
Sat Nov 25 16:25:02 CST 2017

On Sat, Nov 25, 2017 at 1:16 PM Xiaodi Wu <xiaodi.wu at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>>> lexically before even encountering it in the declaration, but it's
>>> serviceable.
>>>

>> What if we could take advantage of the fact that you can have
>> non-constant expressions in default arguments? Overload resolution could
>> already do most of the job—what we need on top of that is a way for the
>> author to say that “if no overload matches, then it’s not an error—just
>> don’t have a default argument in that case”. Something like SFINAE in C++,
>> but more explicit.
>>
>> I’m imagining something like this:
>>
>> func defaultConfiguration() -> Void {
>>   return ()
>> }
>> func defaultActionHandler() -> (Never) -> Void {
>>   return { _ in }
>> }
>> struct ResourceDescription<R: Resource> {
>>   func makeResource(
>>     with configuration: R.Configuration *=?* defaultConfiguration(),
>>     actionHandler: @escaping (R.Action) -> Void *=?* defaultActionHandler()
>>   ) -> R {
>>     // create a resource using the provided configuration
>>     // connect the action handler
>>     // return the resource
>>   }
>> }
>>
>> The main difference here is the strawman =? syntax, which would indicate
>> that “the default argument exists if there is a way the RHS can be
>> satisfied for some instances of the generic arguments; otherwise, there is
>> no default”, instead of today’s behavior where it would be an error. There
>> could be multiple overloads of defaultConfiguration and
>> defaultActionHandler (even ones that are themselves generic) and it
>> would do the right thing when there are matches and when there aren’t.
>>
>> I like this approach because it mostly takes advantage of existing
>> language features and is fairly lightweight in terms of how it’s expressed
>> in code compared to regular default arguments—we’d just need to design the
>> new operator and type-checker logic around it.
>>
>> This is an interesting approach.  One advantage to something in this
>> direction is that it could support defining different defaults for the same
>> argument under different constraints by overloading the default argument
>> factories on their return type.
>>
>> One concern I have is that it doesn’t allows us to clearly define under
>> which constraints a default argument is available.  I suspect this might be
>> problematic especially for public interfaces where source compatibility is
>> a concern.
>>

> It's certainly an interesting idea but it would suggest that the
> constraints under which a default argument is available can change at
> runtime. I'm concerned, like you, that this is difficult to reason about.
> It is still unclear to me how widespread the underlying issue is that
> requires conditional default arguments, but the conversation thus far has
> been about compile-time constraints and Tony's design seems to envision

This runtime/reasoning problem *already exists* today with default
arguments, because you can write something like this:

struct Foo {
  static var defaultExponent = 2.0

  func raise(_ x: Double, to exponent: Double = defaultExponent) {
    print(pow(x, exponent))
Foo().raise(4)  // "16.0"Foo.defaultExponent = 3.0Foo().raise(4)  // "64.0"

Swift lets you write a default value expression that references static (but
not instance) vars of the enclosing type, as well as anything else that’s
visible from that expression’s scope. Should people do this? Probably not,
for the reasons that you described.

But the point is that my example is no more harmful or difficult to reason
about than default arguments in the language today. My proposed solution *in
no way* changes the runtime behavior of default argument expressions. I’m
not envisioning anything more than what default arguments can already do
except for adding a way to choose different default factories (or choose
none without error) based on the *static* types of the generic arguments
that are bound at a particular call site.
​