[swift-evolution] [Pre-pitch] Conditional default arguments

Tony Allevato tony.allevato at gmail.com
Sat Nov 25 13:28:23 CST 2017

On Fri, Nov 24, 2017 at 7:18 PM Xiaodi Wu via swift-evolution <
swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:

It's kludgy, but we could have something like:

> ```
> @defaultArgument(configuration = (), where R.Configuration == Void)
> @defaultArgument(actionHandler = { _ in }, where R.Action == Never)
> func makeResource(with configuration: R.Configuration, actionHandler:
> @escaping (R.Action) -> Void) -> R { ... }
> ```
>
> I don't like that we'd be setting a default argument on something
> lexically before even encountering it in the declaration, but it's
> serviceable.

What if we could take advantage of the fact that you can have non-constant
expressions in default arguments? Overload resolution could already do most
of the job—what we need on top of that is a way for the author to say that
“if no overload matches, then it’s not an error—just don’t have a default
argument in that case”. Something like SFINAE in C++, but more explicit.

I’m imagining something like this:

func defaultConfiguration() -> Void {
  return ()
}
func defaultActionHandler() -> (Never) -> Void {
  return { _ in }
}
struct ResourceDescription<R: Resource> {
  func makeResource(
    with configuration: R.Configuration *=?* defaultConfiguration(),
    actionHandler: @escaping (R.Action) -> Void *=?* defaultActionHandler()
  ) -> R {
    // create a resource using the provided configuration
    // connect the action handler
    // return the resource

The main difference here is the strawman =? syntax, which would indicate
that “the default argument exists if there is a way the RHS can be
satisfied for some instances of the generic arguments; otherwise, there is
no default”, instead of today’s behavior where it would be an error. There
could be multiple overloads of defaultConfiguration and defaultActionHandler
(even ones that are themselves generic) and it would do the right thing
when there are matches and when there aren’t.

I like this approach because it mostly takes advantage of existing language
features and is fairly lightweight in terms of how it’s expressed in code
compared to regular default arguments—we’d just need to design the new
operator and type-checker logic around it.

​