[swift-evolution] [Pitch] Generalized supertype constraints

Dennis Weissmann dennis at dennisweissmann.me
Sat Nov 25 09:34:56 CST 2017

I would also love to have generic associated types in the language, I have a lot of uses for them and, IIUC, supertype constraint would enable me to express the following:

protocol Service {}

protocol WikiService: Service {} // methods not shown for conciseness
class DefaultWikiService: WikiService {}
class DemoWikiService: WikiService {}

class DataServiceManager {

    private var registry = [String: Service]()

    func register<S>(_ service: Service, ofType type: S.Type) where S: Service {
        let key = "\(Swift.type(of: type))"
        registry[key] = service
    }

    func service<S>(ofType type: S.Type) -> S where S: Service {
        let key = "\(Swift.type(of: type))"

        // It is a programmer error to expect a value for a not yet registered type
        guard let service = registry[key] as? S else {
            fatalError("Service of type \(type) cannot be found. Please register a service for that type before accessing it.")
        }
        return service

let manager = DataServiceManager()
if isDemoMode {
    manager.register(DemoWikiService(), ofType: WikiService.self) // Currently: error: in argument type 'WikiService.Protocol', 'WikiService' does not conform to expected type 'Service'
} else {
    manager.register(DefaultWikiService(), ofType: WikiService.self) // Currently: error: in argument type 'WikiService.Protocol', 'WikiService' does not conform to expected type 'Service'
}

If that's right, I'm also +1 on this :)

- Dennis