[swift-evolution] [Accepted and Focused Re-review] SE-0187: Introduce Sequence.filterMap(_:)

Brandon Williams mbw234 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 16 11:06:40 CST 2017

I’ll put my vote in for `filterMap`!

I’d like to call out some fun properties and generalizations that
`filterMap` has that might give a little more credence to why it should be
called this.

There is a very natural way of bridging the worlds of optionals and
booleans.   In fact, considering that `Bool` is the unique type with two
elements, we could even define `typealias Bool = Void?`, where `Void()` is
true and `nil` is false! Though I am definitely not advocating that!

Given that perspective, there is then also a natural way of lifting
predicates `(A) -> Bool` to the world of functions that `filterMap`
understands:

```
func optionalBool<A>(_ p: @escaping (A) -> Bool) -> (A) -> A? {
  return { p($0) ? .some($0) : nil }
}
```

Given such a function, then `filter` on arrays is nothing but
`filterMap(optionalBool(p))`!

The really exciting part is then to take note that the highly contested and
dreaded `Either<A, B>` is just a generalization of `Optional<B>`, in that
we model the absence of `B` by providing a value of type `A`. Given that
observation, what does the filter/filterMap story look like for `Either`s?
Why that’s none other than `partition` and `partitionMap`! These are
functions that allow you to partition an array into two subsets. The first
one doesn’t change the wrapped value of the array (much like `filter`) but
the second allows providing an additional mapping function. Here’s how they
might look:

```
func _partitionMap<A, B>(_ p: @escaping (Element) -> Either<A, B>) ->
(left: [A], right: [B]) {
  var result = (left: [A](), right: [B]())
  for x in self {
    switch p(x) {
    case let .left(a):
      result.left.append(a)
    case let .right(b):
      result.right.append(b)
  return result
}

func _partition(_ p: @escaping (Element) -> Bool) -> (`true`: Array,
`false`: Array) {
  // Can easily define `_partition` in terms of `_partitionMap`!
  return _partitionMap(eitherBool(p))
}
```

The things that are nice about this:

* Builds on a few foundational, atomic ideas.
* Shows that there are future generalizations that we might not even be
thinking about right now
* Allows one to see the shadows of simpler constructions (e.g.
filter/partition) from the more complex constructions (e.g.
filterMap/partitionMap)

I will conclude that I 100% am not advocating for us to bring in `Either`
and `optionalBool` and `eitherBool` and all that wildness. I simply want to
show that there are some wonderful ideas lurking behind these names, and so
it’d be nice to not hide them with overly specific and overly descriptive
names.

If anyone wants to play with these functions I have put them in a gist:

https://gist.github.com/mbrandonw/7aab415312379022e60f3a9a107b6792

On Nov 15, 2017, at 12:55 PM, John McCall via swift-evolution <