[swift-evolution] [Pitch] Introduce User-defined "Dynamic Member Lookup" Types

Jean-Daniel mailing at xenonium.com
Thu Nov 16 04:20:05 CST 2017

> Le 16 nov. 2017 à 07:00, Brent Royal-Gordon via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> a écrit :
>
>> On Nov 14, 2017, at 11:29 PM, Chris Lattner via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org <mailto:swift-evolution at swift.org>> wrote:
>>
>> extension PyVal {
>>   subscript(dynamicMember member: String) -> PyVal {
>>     get {
>>       let result = PyObject_GetAttrString(borrowedPyObject, member)!
>>       return PyRef(owned: result)  // PyObject_GetAttrString returns +1 result.
>>     }
>>     set {
>>       PyObject_SetAttrString(borrowedPyObject, member,
>>                              newValue.toPython().borrowedPyObject)
>>     }
>>   }
>> }
>
> This looks great for Python, but let's talk about some other languages for a moment.
>
> * Ruby and Perl don't have the "call a method by fetching a closure property and invoking it" behavior you're relying on here. Instead, Ruby has a syntax for settable "overloads" of methods (i.e. you can write `def someMember` and `def someMember= (newValue)`), while Perl supports lvalue methods (but sometimes uses getter and setter method pairs instead). How do you envision these behaviors being bridged to Swift? I worry that this protocol may not be sufficient, and that we may need a design which can distinguish between looking up methods and looking up properties.
>
> * Ruby looks up members using symbols, which essentially play the same role as selectors in Objective-C—they're uniqued strings which are used for fast member dispatch. In some cases, you might see non-negligible speed improvements by only looking up the symbol once. Is there a way this design could accommodate that? For instance, could the type of the index be specified by an associated type, so Ruby could use a RbSymbol instead of a String? Or do you think that would be overkill?

And how would that works ? The actual proposal introduce a minor change in the compiler as it just has to be capable of generating a literal string from an identifier. To use something else (RbSymbol), the compiler would have to lean how to generate such object from the unresolved identifier.

One generic solution would be to make sure the key is buildable by string literal, but what would be the benefit here as it would not be better than simply create the RbSymbol directly in the specific subscript implementation.