[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0187: Introduce Sequence.filterMap(_:)

Tino Heth 2th at gmx.de
Tue Nov 14 08:50:20 CST 2017

> Yeah but it seems clear from the return type so I am not sure that much confusion would really exist.

Afaics, there already is lots of confusion — that’s the reason for me to write a sequence of posts in this topic, instead of an Optional ;-)
The word „flatten“ is a quite honest description, so I wonder why words like filter, remove, ignoring or skipping should be used instead.

„Compact“ would be less irritating, but I could imagine that it indicates something like eliminating repeated occurrences.

Tino

(I’m quite close to attach a hand-drawn illustration of the flatMap process — I don’t think you want that to happen ;-)