[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0187: Introduce Sequence.filterMap(_:)

Paul Cantrell cantrell at pobox.com
Sun Nov 12 12:53:55 CST 2017

> On Nov 11, 2017, at 8:35 AM, Gwendal Roué via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>
> I'd suggest `compactMap` as an alternative name, should `filterMap` find too much resistance:

I like that name too, though it’s probably my Ruby experience showing. I like the clarity of “compact” for nils, “filter” for booleans. I like how fluently “compactMap” reads.

If the core team does accept this proposal, I’d trust them to take a minute to make a considered, opinionated choice about the name.