[swift-evolution] [Pitch] Introduce user-defined dynamically "callable" types

Chris Lattner sabre at nondot.org
Fri Nov 10 22:35:15 CST 2017

> On Nov 10, 2017, at 6:12 PM, Slava Pestov via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>

>> On Nov 10, 2017, at 6:10 PM, Matthew Johnson via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org <mailto:swift-evolution at swift.org>> wrote:
>>
>> Setting this aside, I’m very curious to hear whether type providers influence your thinking after you’ve had a chance to look into them.  I have always thought they were very cool.
>
> I’m in favor of solving this problem with something like type providers also. The required compiler changes would be significant but would also clean up the interface between the ClangImporter, Sema and Serialization. If done right it would be a net gain that would benefit all users, instead of just adding YetAnotherCornerCase™ that makes implementation maintainers curse and scream.

I find it ironic that you’re talking pejoratively about a feature that has very narrow impact, complaining about how much of an impact on the compiler it would have, and then pine for a hugely invasive feature - one that would cause a ton of code churn, and probably wouldn’t actually be enough to eliminate the special cases in place because of ObjC interop.

-Chris