[swift-evolution] [Pitch] Introduce user-defined dynamically "callable" types

Joe Groff jgroff at apple.com
Fri Nov 10 12:03:55 CST 2017

I don't like the idea of some calls having wildly different semantics from others; it's difficult enough to tell what exactly a call might be doing already. Since we also lack the more obvious static "Callable" protocol idea to give even well-typed call syntax to user-defined types, this also seems like it'd be easily abused for that purpose too.

I think a much better general solution to the problem of "make dynamic systems interact with type systems" is something like F#'s type providers which lets you write your own importers that look at dynamic information from a database, dynamic language VM, or some other system and generate type information usable by the compiler. Integration at the importer level could let you produce more well-typed Swift declarations by looking at the runtime information you get by importing a Python module.

-Joe