[swift-evolution] Adding Result to the Standard Library

Brent Royal-Gordon brent at architechies.com
Thu Nov 9 06:02:13 CST 2017

> On Nov 9, 2017, at 3:16 AM, Gwendal Roué via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>
> I wish that the Swift-Evolution discussion around typed / untyped throws would avoid three traps:
>
> - a bloodshed between pro and anti typed-throws
> - a pro-typed-throws echo chamber (since untyped throws is the passive status quo, and typed throws the energetic challenger)
> - even less average-joe-programmers than ever (on a topic that immensely impacts their everyday job)
>
> Shouldn't the community elect a benevolent dictator that would settle this subject? The final choice has of course to be sensible, but also strong and sharp.

This is different from the normal evolution process—especially now that we have an implementation requirement—but I think I'd like to see the pro-typed-throws side put together a proposal, and then we can bring it up for a review and decide whether we *eventually* (even if it's not important enough for Swift 5) want to have typed throws or not. People have been asking for this feature for years, nobody seems to think it has insurmountable technical obstacles, and it's now holding up other decisions, and yet it's never been a high enough priority for us to just make the decision. We should change that.

If it's rejected in review, we can design `Result` and everything else on the assumption that we'll never have it. If it's accepted, we'll know where the roadmap is going there, too. I might not even demand a detailed technical design—just a clear outline of what will and won't be possible (e.g. multiple error types or not?), some discussion of the use cases and drawbacks, and a chance to make a binding(-ish) decision on the question.

--
Brent Royal-Gordon
Architechies