[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0187: Introduce Sequence.filterMap(_:)

Jonathan Hull jhull at gbis.com
Wed Nov 8 16:12:27 CST 2017

> On Nov 7, 2017, at 3:23 PM, John McCall via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>
> When writing your review, here are some questions you might want to answer in your review:
>
> 	• What is your evaluation of the proposal?

-1.  I am indifferent on the name, but don’t think it is worth the code churn.

What I would much rather see is an attribute that could be placed on parameters that would prevent optional promotion in those cases.  That would prevent the issue listed here without needing to change the name, and it would be helpful in other places where optional promotion could cause mistakes.

> 	• Is the problem being addressed significant enough to warrant a change to Swift?

No, I don’t really think so.

> 	• Does this proposal fit well with the feel and direction of Swift?

Meh.  I think both the current name and the proposed name fit within the feel of swift.

> 	• If you have used other languages or libraries with a similar feature, how do you feel that this proposal compares to those?

There are a lot of languages with this functionality, they all have slightly different names for it. I think the name is fine, but if the name had been filterMap to start with that would have been ok too.  I don’t think it is worth changing at this point though.

> 	• How much effort did you put into your review? A glance, a quick reading, or an in-depth study?

I followed the discussion, but didn’t spend a great deal of time thinking about it beyond that.