[swift-evolution] Large Proposal: Non-Standard Libraries

Wallacy wallacyf at gmail.com
Wed Nov 8 06:29:55 CST 2017

@Félix Fischer

Yes, I wanted to say central index. I chose the wrong term.

Actually I could have summed it up like this:
- Central Index
- SwiftPM to download/search using this index like npm/nuget
- GStreamer organization Style.

I do not agree with Ted that only a few projects should be ranked,
everyone, as it is in npm should be available. Only be graded according to
recommendations.

For exemple this is what GStreamer do:

*gst-plugins-base*
a small and fixed set of plug-ins, covering a wide range of possible types
of elements; these are continuously kept up-to-date with any core changes
during the development series.

   - We believe distributors can safely ship these plug-ins
   - People writing elements should base their code on these elements
   - These elements come with examples, documentation, and regression tests

*gst-plugins-good*
a set of plug-ins that we consider to have good quality code, correct
functionality, our preferred license (LGPL for the plug-in code, LGPL or
LGPL-compatible for the supporting library).

   - We believe distributors can safely ship these plug-ins
   - People writing elements should base their code on these elements

*gst-plugins-ugly*
a set of plug-ins that have good quality and correct functionality, but
distributing them might pose problems. The license on either the plug-ins
or the supporting libraries might not be how we'd like. The code might be
widely known to present patent problems.

   - Distributors should check if they want/can ship these plug-ins
   - People writing elements should base their code on these elements

*gst-plugins-bad*
a set of plug-ins that aren't up to par compared to the rest. They might be
close to being good quality, but they're missing something - be it a good
code review, some documentation, a set of tests, a real live maintainer, or
some actual wide use. If the blanks are filled in they might be upgraded to
become part of either gst-plugins-good or gst-plugins-ugly, depending on
the other factors.

   - If the plug-ins break, you can't complain - instead, you can fix the
   problem and send us a patch, or bribe someone into fixing them for you
   - New contributors can start here for things to work on

For example, let's say that the proposal on type Result <T> is not approved.

The community cam build a Result<T> "project" ate "swift-extension-base"
and everyone at "base" level must agree to use then (or improve then) to
avoid one of the concerns at Result<T> proposal (several projects build the
own)...

So in Swift side maybe the indexer (and the community) can classify
projects in this way:

*swift-extension-base  *// (Swift Core Team maybe can manager this one)

*a small and fixed set of features, covering a small range of possible
types of elements*; these are continuously kept up-to-date with any core
changes during the development series.

   - We believe distributors can safely ship these features
   - People writing elements should base their code on these elements
   - These elements come with examples, documentation, and regression tests

*swift-extension-good *// (Community can manage this, and Swift Core Team
can do some advices)
a set of *features *that we consider to have good quality code, correct
functionality, our preferred license* (Swift Licence)*, and *covering a
wide range features.*

   - We believe distributors can safely ship these plug-ins
   - People writing elements should base their code on these elements

*swift-extension-ugly *// (Full Community)
a set of *features  *that have good quality and correct functionality, but
distributing them might pose problems. The license on either the or the
supporting libraries might not be how we'd like. The code might be widely
known to present patent problems.

   - Distributors should check if they want/can ship these plug-ins
   - People writing elements should base their code on these elements

*swift-extension-bad *// (Full Community)
a set of *features *that aren't up to par compared to the rest. They might
be close to being good quality, but they're missing something - be it a
good code review, some documentation, a set of tests, a real live
maintainer, or some actual wide use.

   - If the *features *break, you can't complain - instead, you can fix the
   problem and send us a patch, or bribe someone into fixing them for you
   - New contributors can start here for things to work on

I just change plugins to feature to make more sense here... And at "base"
level we can just drop very small projects, and make few guarantees that
will always work. And at good level we can drop bigger projects like
Alamofire, Perfect etc, because of the nature of those projects, we know
that will get a good support but we cant guarantee that documentation and
tests and language updates will always be pair with the rest.

And at "bad" level, will be like NPM is today... just a easy way to obtain
some 3rd party code but no guarantees at all!

We heve IBM Swift Package Catalog (https://packagecatalog.com) but i think
we can do better.

Also, if we (and Apple) do nothing, the community someway will do! It's
like Brew/Macports at some point people will build the tools to make the
ecosystem easier. Is better make something oficial (like npm/nuget) of
course.

A "Non-Standard Libraries" its a non start for me, but good indexer, a good
integration with SwiftPM, a oficial help/support of the Swift Core Team,
and a set of rules/patterns to rule this (and other) projects is a good
feature to have.