[swift-evolution] [swift-evolution-announce] [Review] SE-0187: Introduce Sequence.filterMap(_:)

Howard Lovatt howard.lovatt at gmail.com
Wed Nov 8 01:04:09 CST 2017

The review of "SE-0187: Introduce Sequence.filterMap(_:)" begins now and
runs through November 14th, 2017.  The proposal is available here:

https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/blob/master/
proposals/0187-introduce-filtermap.md

• What is your evaluation of the proposal?
Worthwhile since there is a potential problem. However I am not convinced:

  1. About the name, it sounds like it filters and then maps rather than
what it really does which is map and then filter. Also, what does it
filter? How about mapFilterOptional (which is similar to Haskel name where
Maybe is equivalent of Optional).

  2. There is a more general problem of automatically wrapping a
non-optional in an optional; which this is a symptom off. So rather than
fix up the symptom, why not fix the problem. In particular; why not stop
the automatic conversion of a value to an optional, instead provide a value
to optional operator (the reverse of !). Say a trailing ~, used like 5~ to
mean Optional.some(5). ~ chosen because it is like an S, for some, on it's
side.

• Is the problem being addressed significant enough to warrant a change to
Swift?
Marginal

• Does this proposal fit well with the feel and direction of Swift?
Yes and no - see comments above. In particular automatic conversions are
not common in Swift. The conversion of a value to an optional automatically
therefore stands out.

• If you have used other languages or libraries with a similar feature, how
do you feel that this proposal compares to those?
Yes Scala, Haskel, and Java

• How much effort did you put into your review? A glance, a quick reading,
or an in-depth study?
Participated in Swift Evolution discussion

  -- Howard.