[swift-evolution] Large Proposal: Non-Standard Libraries

Jonathan Hull jhull at gbis.com
Tue Nov 7 16:44:25 CST 2017

> On Nov 7, 2017, at 1:58 PM, Ted Kremenek via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>
> We could also figure out a way to possibly highlight these efforts to the Swift community, maybe on swift-evolution or other means — but all with the expectation that these libraries are not *necessarily* going to be standardized as part of the core swift distribution.  I don’t think that’s all that bad either; not every library will make sense to incorporate into the core Swift distribution (e.g., they are highly domain specific) but still supporting their development would be beneficial to the community.

What I really want to see is a Code Store in Xcode (kind of like an app store for Swift packages).  Basically, you would hit “Add Package” in the sidebar/menu and a sheet pops up where you can search for and view various packages.  You then hit an “Add” button in the sheet, and it would add the package to your project.  To remove a package you would select it and hit delete.

Selecting a package in the sidebar would let you set some settings (e.g. select a specific version), and view documentation.  Xcode would manage the files for you behind the scenes.

I know that is out of scope for Evolution, but I just wanted to mention it, since it might help with the visibility issue.

Thanks,
Jon