[swift-evolution] Large Proposal: Non-Standard Libraries

Kelvin Ma kelvin13ma at gmail.com
Tue Nov 7 13:01:40 CST 2017

On Tue, Nov 7, 2017 at 12:18 PM, Félix Fischer via swift-evolution <
swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:

> Hmm. I kind of like the idea, but not really. I think it has a fundamental
> flaw: centralization.
>
> You see, the StdLib can be commanded by a central authority (the core
> team) and hear the needs of the general community (through swift-evolution
> and such) because, among other things, it’s small. The StdLib solves common
> and well-understood problems. Most of the solutions it provides are optimal
> for all use cases.
>
> This is fundamentally different from a non-StdLib. If I understood your
> idea correctly, it would be the complement of StdLib; it will be big and it
> will attend problems that are not well-understood or whose solutions have
> many differrying  approaches depending on the users’ neccessities (think
> Geometry). Therefore, a correct and complete approach would inevitably have
> to:
> - Know the needs of all the relevant user groups and balance their
> priorities.
> - Contain all the important and complementary solutions.
>
> This is very hard to achieve in a centralized system. Not impossible, but
> very resource-intensive.
>
> You can achieve something similar by letting the community grow and by
> encouraging a good environment. People will the build the tools they need,
> and the important voices will index the tools people use the most. That
> makes them good, as well as easily findable. It’s not perfect either, but
> it’s more efficient in my opinion.
>
> — Félix Fischer

People tend to build the tools they need, but not what other people need.
And there are many many examples from other languages of what can go wrong
when non-standard libraries compete. As for important voices indexing the
tools people use the most, I don’t see that happening.