[swift-evolution] Making capturing semantics of local

Johannes Weiß johannesweiss at apple.com
Sun Oct 29 09:02:57 CDT 2017

> On 28 Oct 2017, at 10:14 pm, John McCall <rjmccall at apple.com> wrote:
>

>> On Oct 28, 2017, at 6:05 AM, Johannes Weiß via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Mike,

>>> what a hack and a half :)
>>>
>>> sorry, offtopic to the thread but that you can have easier with the fixed-point combinator (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fixed-point_combinator)
>>>
>>> // the fixed-point combinator
>>> func fix<T>(_ f: @escaping ((@escaping (T) -> T) -> (T) -> T)) -> (T) -> T {
>>>    return { (x: T) in (f(fix(f)))(x) }
>>> }
>>>
>>> // demo
>>> let fact = fix { fact_ in { n in n == 1 ? 1 : n * fact_(n-1) } }
>>> for i in 1..<10 {
>>>    print(fact(i))
>>> }
>>>
>>> that would be a serious crime against humanity if swift allows this type of code at all :-)
>>
>> the fixed-point combinator and Y combinator are pretty important in functional languages.
>
> They're important in the theory of functional languages.  Anyone seriously promoting using the Y combinator in actual programming instead of using the language's native recursive-binding features is, frankly, someone you should not being taking advice from.

Definitely not arguing with that. But there are (valid?) cases when you want a recursive closure which doesn’t have a native recursion mechanism and then `fix` can be useful I’d argue. I think more straightforward than

. But fortunately have local functions, I can only recall wanting a recursive closure once.

— Johannes