[swift-evolution] Making capturing semantics of local

Howard Lovatt howard.lovatt at gmail.com
Fri Oct 27 23:42:34 CDT 2017

I should qualify that I am not proposing removing local functions without
replacing them with closures that have the same power. I don't believe
powerful closures are something the compiler couldn't do, in fact I believe
it is something that is relatively easy. I believe this because there isn't
much difference between a function and a closure and because the function
behaviour is easy to fake and therefore something the compiler could do (in
fact do better than you can fake). Two of the example presented of things
closures can't do are mutual recursion and generics, both are fakable:

var isEven: ((UInt) -> Bool)! = nil // Forward declaration!
var isOdd: ((UInt) -> Bool)! = nil
isEven = { n in
    if n == 0 {
        return true
    } else {
        return isOdd(n - 1)
isOdd = { n in
    if n == 0 {
        return false;
    } else {
        return isEven(n - 1)
isEven(4) // True
isOdd(4) // False

struct GenericIncrement<T: Numeric> {
    let increment = { (n: T) -> T in
        n + 1
let int = GenericIncrement<Int>() // Reify increment and name mangle!
int.increment(1) // 2
let double = GenericIncrement<Double>()
double.increment(1.1) // 2.1

The reason for showing code above is to demonstrate that the compiler could
do this (in fact it could do better) - I am not suggesting anyone uses the
above!

  -- Howard.