[swift-evolution] /*Let it be*/ func() -> @discardable Bool {} /*Rather Than*/ @discardableResult func() -> Bool {}

David Sweeris davesweeris at mac.com
Fri Oct 20 16:55:04 CDT 2017

> On Oct 20, 2017, at 10:54, Eagle Offshore via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>
> +1
>
> I really feel like the number of modifiers and decorators and annotations etc....has reached the point of illegibility.

> That's what trying to read swift is getting to be like.
>
> Trying to make every single nuance explicit is a fool's errand and is killing readability.

Agree that annotations can get unwieldy, but how else are we supposed to express nuances when the language’s default is wrong for the code in question?

> Also, the choice to discard a result is properly the provenance of the caller, not an intrinsic feature of a function.

Was that position argued during the proposal review? I don’t remember... In any case, I think the “very high bar” we have now for breaking source compatibility makes it unlikely to change at this point (OTOH, I’m frequently wrong here)

> I'll stop now.

Feel free to voice your concerns... Obviously I can’t promise anyone will agree or anything, but if you think you have a point that hasn’t already been discussed, we want to hear it! (Or at least I do... I’m just a random dude on the internet and don’t “speak for the list” or anything, but that’s been the general attitude as long as I’ve been hanging out here)

- Dave Sweeris