[swift-evolution] [Draft] Rename Sequence.elementsEqual

Xiaodi Wu xiaodi.wu at gmail.com
Wed Oct 18 06:55:28 CDT 2017

On Wed, Oct 18, 2017 at 03:05 Martin R <martinr448 at gmail.com> wrote:

> > On 17. Oct 2017, at 23:22, Michael Ilseman via swift-evolution <
> swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
> >

> >> On Oct 17, 2017, at 1:36 PM, Benjamin G <benjamin.garrigues at gmail.com>
> wrote:

> thread for the concepts behind the design for Sequence.

> expect the average swift developer will guess when he sees functions like
> "prefix / first / elementEqual (or whatever it's called)" on the Set type.
> generic extensions above Sequence or Collection thinking those protocols
> are synonymous for orderer collections.

> change the name
> >>
> >> Exactly, and that’s what Xiaodi’s proposal does. Confronted with these
> complexities, his proposal reasons that a name change is the lessor or
> evils, as in the “Proposed solution” section.

> >> Xiaodi floated “lexicographicallyEqual” which is accurate and a big
> improvement, and I’m liking it more and more. I floated
> “sequentiallyEquals”, which I’m liking less and less now. My current
> preference is for “elementsOrderedEqual” which I think is more descriptive
> but unwieldy. On the other hand, this is a far less common facility, and
> order matters, so maybe more verbose names are fine.
> >>
> >> I'm sorry to bring more bikeshedding, but lexicographicallyEqual seems
> absolutely atrocious to me. Imagine all the steps required the user of a
> Set<Int> to understand why a lexicographicallyEqual function is suggested
> by the compiler ??
> >>

> > My initial resistance is that lexicographical implies a comparability
> beyond equality. `lexicographicallyEquals`, then, had me (erroneously)
> wondering if the “lexicographically” part meant that the elements were
> presented in lexicographical order and then compared for equality. But, I
> was in error and this is a wrong interpretation of the term. “abc” is not
> lexicographically equal to “cba”, and it’s quite a mental leap to think
> that the order of elements would be presented differently. That’s not to
> say that others won't have the same misinterpretation and that’s why I’m
> hoping for a better name. But, if `lexicographicallyEquals` is what we
> settle on, that’s a huge improvement over `elementsEqual`.
>

> In the earlier post
> https://lists.swift.org/pipermail/swift-evolution/Week-of-Mon-20171009/040428.html,
> Xiaodi Wu quoted from
> http://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/algorithm/lexicographical_compare
> because that "defines lexicographical comparison unambiguously for C++".
>
> But that definition corresponds to what `lexicographicallyPrecedes()`
> method does: two sequences are compared in iteration order using `<`, until
> one is exhausted or a difference is found. It requires that the sequence
> Element type is Comparable (but not that the sequences elements are
> ordered!) and allows to order all sets with the same element type.
>
> In your example, "abc" is not lexicographically equal to "cba" because "a"
> < "c".

Not quite. It's because "a" != "c".

C++ `lexicographical_compare` does correspond to
`lexicographicallyPrecedes` and evaluates for lexicographical less-than,
but the documentation there also defines lexicographical equality, which is
in terms of equivalence.

In Swift, a type can define a notion of equivalence without defining a
notion of precedence, so lexicographical equality can be evaluated even if
lexicographical less-than cannot in that case.

The equivalent of `elementsEqual()` in C++ would be