[swift-evolution] [Draft] Rename Sequence.elementsEqual

Xiaodi Wu xiaodi.wu at gmail.com
Tue Oct 17 11:34:04 CDT 2017

On Tue, Oct 17, 2017 at 09:42 Jonathan Hull <jhull at gbis.com> wrote:

> On Oct 17, 2017, at 5:44 AM, Xiaodi Wu <xiaodi.wu at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Tue, Oct 17, 2017 at 00:56 Thorsten Seitz <tseitz42 at icloud.com> wrote:
>

>> Am 17.10.2017 um 00:13 schrieb Xiaodi Wu <xiaodi.wu at gmail.com>:
>>

>> On Mon, Oct 16, 2017 at 14:21 Thorsten Seitz <tseitz42 at icloud.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Am 16.10.2017 um 16:20 schrieb Xiaodi Wu via swift-evolution <
>>> swift-evolution at swift.org>:

>>> No, I am arguing that the confusion about ‘elementsEqual’ is foremost a
>>> problem with its name; the result of this operation is not at all undefined
>>> for two sets but actually clearly defined: it returns true if two sets have
>>> the same elements in the same iteration order, which is a publicly
>>> observable behavior of sets (likewise dictionaries).
>>>

>>> But it is a behavior which has absolutely no meaning at all because the
>>> order does not depend on the elements of the set but on the history of how
>>> the set has been reached its current state.
>>> So why should I ever use this method on a set?
>>> What is the use case?
>>>

>> One example: you can use it to check an instance of Set<Float> to
>> determine if it has a NaN value. (The “obvious” way of doing it is not
>> guaranteed to work since NaN != NaN.)
>>

>> How would I do that? I'd rather expect to use a property isNaN on Float
>> to do that.
>>

> set.elementsEqual(set)
>

> I see why that would work (thanks to Set being a collection vs a
> sequence), but it still feels like a hack.  I definitely wouldn’t want to
> be maintaining code with that in it. Especially when compared to something
> like:
>
> set.contains(where: {$0.isNaN})

The purpose of protocols is to enable useful generic code. You cannot use
isNaN for code that works on generic Collection, or for that matter, even
code that works on Set where Element : Numeric.

Much generic code (for example, generic sorting) easily blows up when
encountering NaN. If you want an algorithm that is robust enough to handle
(or at least reject) that scenario, then you will need to check for it. It
is not a “hack” but a very common and accepted way of determining the
presence of NaN.

> I don’t see why a non-source-breaking change is suddenly off-limits.

>>> Such as...?
>>>
>>> Currently, there is no way to test for ordered-ness, so there is no way
>>>>

>>> It is clearly the case that Swift’s protocol hierarchy fits sets and
>>> collections imperfectly; however, it is in the nature of modeling that
>>> imperfections are present. The question is not whether it is possible to
>>> incur performance, API surface area, and other trade-offs to make the model
>>> more faithful, but rather whether this usefully solves any problem. What is
>>> the problem being mitigated? As I write above, Swift’s Set and Dictionary
>>> types meet the semantic requirements for Collection and moonlight as
>>> ordered collections. What is a generic algorithm on an ordered collection
>>> that is  “not OK” for Set and Dictionary? (“elementsEqual”, as I’ve said,
>>> is not such an example.)
>>>

>>> On the contrary, `elementsEqual` is exactly such an example, because it
>>> makes no sense to use it on a Set.
>>>
>>> let s1 = Set([1,2,3,4,5,6])
>>> let s2 = Set([6,5,4,3,2,1])
>>>
>>> Both sets have different iteration orders. Comparing those sets with
>>> some other collection using `elementsEqual` will give no meaningful result
>>> because the order - and therefore the result of `elementsEqual` - is in
>>> effect random.
>>>

>> No, it is not such an example; it’s misleadingly named but works
>> correctly—that is, its behavior matches exactly the documented behavior,
>> which relies on only the semantic guarantees of Sequence, which Set
>> correctly fulfills.
>>

>> Fulfills to the letter. Again, what can you do with it if the result is
>> random??
>>

> The result is not random.
>

> It is undefined though.  As you said earlier, by the guarantees we have
> been given, it may shift over different builds/runs of a program.  Thus in
> one run, it might return true and then false in another (without changing
> our code).  As Greg pointed out, it is also possible with the guarantees we
> are given, for set/dict to have different orderings with copies of
> themselves. (It will happen for sure when deep copying a dictionary with
> reference-type keys).

As I wrote to Greg, if that is a possibility for Set, then the
implementation is problematic for conformance to Collection and needs to be
re-examined.

I’m not sure why you claim the order of a dictionary will definitiely
change on deep copying. But in any case, we are not talking about deep
copying here, or at least, I’m not; we’re talking about the notional
copying involved in the semantics of passing a set as an argument.

As I keep saying, relying on the behavior of a leaking internal
> implementation is a bad plan.

Again, it is not a leaking internal implementation. It is a public API
guarantee.

We should add an additional guarantee to set/dict that the order returned
> will be the same for the same contents regardless of history (but can be
> otherwise arbitrary).  That will fix the behavior for algorithms like
> elementsEqual (i.e. They will return the same result across builds/runs).
> It will also implicitly provide as a result, the constraint you were
> arguing is needed across copies of a collection type.  I agree that that is
> an important guarantee.  Why not fix both issues with a single
> non-source-breaking change?

As I wrote, the behavior of elementsEqual is not broken and does not
require fixing. What is the benefit of the guarantee you propose that
justifies the performance cost?

Why is the source-breaking change of renaming things better?

Because, in my analysis, the problem is that the method is incorrectly
named. The problem affects all types that conform to Sequence and not just
Set and Dictionary; elementsEqual is a distinct function from ==, and it
must either continue to be distinct or cease to exist, but its name does
nothing to clarify any distinction.

Thanks,