[swift-evolution] [Draft] Rename Sequence.elementsEqual

Howard Lovatt howard.lovatt at gmail.com
Mon Oct 16 18:58:31 CDT 2017

My preferences in order would be:

  1. Split out of Sequence Iterable/ForEachable (whatever the name) and
have Set and Dictionary conform to this new protocol instead of Sequence.
With further protocols splits made to other 'mixin' protocols to keep the
order of iteration undefined.

  2. Rename elementsEqual, iterableOrderEqual and change the definitions of
all the order dependent methods in the 'collections' hierarchy to
explicitly say "based on iteration order" and to explicitly say that "the
method iterates over the collection to produce their result and if the
collection can only iterate once then subsequent calls will cause a fatal
error".

There is only one reason that I can see for rejecting my 1st option - it's
just too much effort. I don't accept the argument of a breaking change in
the true sense of the word breaking because algorithms over Set/Dictionary
that rely on order are broken and there explicitly cause a compile time
error for these is good. Arguing that it isn't good to deliberately break
these algorithms is like saying that if there is a bug in the compiler that
accepts faulty code we shouldn't fix it because that will break someones
code - no a bug should be flagged.

  -- Howard.