[swift-evolution] [Draft] Rename Sequence.elementsEqual

Xiaodi Wu xiaodi.wu at gmail.com
Mon Oct 16 17:13:08 CDT 2017

On Mon, Oct 16, 2017 at 14:21 Thorsten Seitz <tseitz42 at icloud.com> wrote:

> [...]
>>> something like `_customOrderingPass` that is only invoked from
>>> `elementsEqual` or other such methods to pre-rearrange the internal
>>> ordering of unordered collections in some deterministic way before
>>> comparison. Is that what you have in mind?
>>>

>>> Something like that.  Whatever we do, there will be a tradeoff between
>>> speed, correctness, and ergonomics.
>>>
>>> My suggestion trades speed for correctness, and provides a way to
>>> recover speed through additional typing (which is slightly less ergonomic).
>>>

>> You haven't convinced me that this is at all improved in "correctness."
>> It trades one arbitrary iteration order for another on a type that tries to
>> model an unordered collection.
>>

>>> We could do something like you suggest. I don’t think the method would
>>> need to be underscored… the ordering pass could just be a method on the
>>> protocol which defines it as unordered.  Then we could provide a special
>>> conformance for things where order really matters based on adherence to
>>> that protocol.  That might be an acceptable tradeoff.  It would give us
>>> speed at the cost of having the correct implementation being less ergonomic
>>> and more error prone (you have to remember to check that it is unordered
>>> and call the ordering method when it mattered).
>>>
>>> I’d still be a bit worried that people would make incorrect generic
>>> algorithms based on expecting an order from unordered things, but at least
>>> it would be possible for them check and handle it correctly.  I think I
>>> could get behind that tradeoff/compromise, given where we are in the swift
>>> process and Swift's obsession with speed (though I still slightly prefer
>>> the safer default).  At least the standard library would handle all the
>>> things correctly, and that is what will affect the majority of programmers.
>>>

>> What is an example of such an "incorrect" generic algorithm that would be
>> made correct by such a scheme?
>>

>> To start with, the one you gave as an example at the beginning of this
>> discussion: Two sets with identical elements which have different internal
>> storage and thus give different orderings as sequences.  You yourself have
>> argued that the confusion around this is enough of a problem that we need
>> to make a source-breaking change (renaming it) to warn people that the
>> results of the ‘elementsEqual’ algorithm are undefined for sets and
>> dictionaries.
>>

> No, I am arguing that the confusion about ‘elementsEqual’ is foremost a
> problem with its name; the result of this operation is not at all undefined
> for two sets but actually clearly defined: it returns true if two sets have
> the same elements in the same iteration order, which is a publicly
> observable behavior of sets (likewise dictionaries).
>

> But it is a behavior which has absolutely no meaning at all because the
> order does not depend on the elements of the set but on the history of how
> the set has been reached its current state.
> So why should I ever use this method on a set?

One example: you can use it to check an instance of Set<Float> to determine
if it has a NaN value. (The “obvious” way of doing it is not guaranteed to
work since NaN != NaN.)

I don’t see why a non-source-breaking change is suddenly off-limits.

>> But more than that, any generic algorithm which is assuming that the
>> sequence is coming from an ordered source (i.e. many things using
>> first/last).  Some uses of first are ok because the programmer actually
>> means ‘any’, but anywhere where they actually mean first/last may be
>> problematic.
>>

> Such as...?
>
> Currently, there is no way to test for ordered-ness, so there is no way
>> for even a careful programmer to mitigate this problem.  By adding a
>> protocol which states that something is unordered, we can either branch on
>> it, or create a separate version of an algorithm for things which conform.
>>

> It is clearly the case that Swift’s protocol hierarchy fits sets and
> collections imperfectly; however, it is in the nature of modeling that
> imperfections are present. The question is not whether it is possible to
> incur performance, API surface area, and other trade-offs to make the model
> more faithful, but rather whether this usefully solves any problem. What is
> the problem being mitigated? As I write above, Swift’s Set and Dictionary
> types meet the semantic requirements for Collection and moonlight as
> ordered collections. What is a generic algorithm on an ordered collection
> that is  “not OK” for Set and Dictionary? (“elementsEqual”, as I’ve said,
> is not such an example.)
>

> On the contrary, `elementsEqual` is exactly such an example, because it
> makes no sense to use it on a Set.
>
> let s1 = Set([1,2,3,4,5,6])
> let s2 = Set([6,5,4,3,2,1])
>
> Both sets have different iteration orders. Comparing those sets with some
> other collection using `elementsEqual` will give no meaningful result
> because the order - and therefore the result of `elementsEqual` - is in
> effect random.

No, it is not such an example; it’s misleadingly named but works
correctly—that is, its behavior matches exactly the documented behavior,
which relies on only the semantic guarantees of Sequence, which Set
correctly fulfills.