[swift-evolution] [Draft] Rename Sequence.elementsEqual

Xiaodi Wu xiaodi.wu at gmail.com
Mon Oct 16 09:20:07 CDT 2017

On Mon, Oct 16, 2017 at 05:48 Jonathan Hull <jhull at gbis.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> `prefix`, or indexing by subscript, which are not compatible with being
>> unordered. For those who want a particular ordering, there'd be something
>> like `collection(ordered areInIncreasingOrder: (T, T) -> Bool) ->
>> {Set|Dictionary}Collection`.
>>
>> What you suggest here instead would be minimally source-breaking.
>> However, I'm unsure of where these guarantees provide benefit to justify
>> the performance cost. Certainly not for `first` or `dropFirst(_:)`, which
>> still yields an arbitrary result which doesn't make sense for something
>> _unordered_. We *could* have an underscored customization point named
>> something like `_customOrderingPass` that is only invoked from
>> `elementsEqual` or other such methods to pre-rearrange the internal
>> ordering of unordered collections in some deterministic way before
>> comparison. Is that what you have in mind?
>>

>> Something like that.  Whatever we do, there will be a tradeoff between
>> speed, correctness, and ergonomics.
>>
>> My suggestion trades speed for correctness, and provides a way to recover
>> speed through additional typing (which is slightly less ergonomic).
>>

> You haven't convinced me that this is at all improved in "correctness." It
> trades one arbitrary iteration order for another on a type that tries to
> model an unordered collection.
>

>> We could do something like you suggest. I don’t think the method would
>> need to be underscored… the ordering pass could just be a method on the
>> protocol which defines it as unordered.  Then we could provide a special
>> conformance for things where order really matters based on adherence to
>> that protocol.  That might be an acceptable tradeoff.  It would give us
>> speed at the cost of having the correct implementation being less ergonomic
>> and more error prone (you have to remember to check that it is unordered
>> and call the ordering method when it mattered).
>>
>> I’d still be a bit worried that people would make incorrect generic
>> algorithms based on expecting an order from unordered things, but at least
>> it would be possible for them check and handle it correctly.  I think I
>> could get behind that tradeoff/compromise, given where we are in the swift
>> process and Swift's obsession with speed (though I still slightly prefer
>> the safer default).  At least the standard library would handle all the
>> things correctly, and that is what will affect the majority of programmers.
>>

> What is an example of such an "incorrect" generic algorithm that would be
> made correct by such a scheme?
>

> To start with, the one you gave as an example at the beginning of this
> discussion: Two sets with identical elements which have different internal
> storage and thus give different orderings as sequences.  You yourself have
> argued that the confusion around this is enough of a problem that we need
> to make a source-breaking change (renaming it) to warn people that the
> results of the ‘elementsEqual’ algorithm are undefined for sets and

No, I am arguing that the confusion about ‘elementsEqual’ is foremost a
problem with its name; the result of this operation is not at all undefined
for two sets but actually clearly defined: it returns true if two sets have
the same elements in the same iteration order, which is a publicly
observable behavior of sets (likewise dictionaries).

I don’t see why a non-source-breaking change is suddenly off-limits.

> But more than that, any generic algorithm which is assuming that the
> sequence is coming from an ordered source (i.e. many things using
> first/last).  Some uses of first are ok because the programmer actually
> means ‘any’, but anywhere where they actually mean first/last may be
> problematic.

Such as...?

Currently, there is no way to test for ordered-ness, so there is no way for
> even a careful programmer to mitigate this problem.  By adding a protocol
> which states that something is unordered, we can either branch on it, or
> create a separate version of an algorithm for things which conform.

It is clearly the case that Swift’s protocol hierarchy fits sets and
collections imperfectly; however, it is in the nature of modeling that
imperfections are present. The question is not whether it is possible to
incur performance, API surface area, and other trade-offs to make the model
more faithful, but rather whether this usefully solves any problem. What is
the problem being mitigated? As I write above, Swift’s Set and Dictionary
types meet the semantic requirements for Collection and moonlight as
ordered collections. What is a generic algorithm on an ordered collection
that is  “not OK” for Set and Dictionary? (“elementsEqual”, as I’ve said,
is not such an example.)