[swift-evolution] [Draft] Rename Sequence.elementsEqual

Xiaodi Wu xiaodi.wu at gmail.com
Sat Oct 14 22:44:43 CDT 2017

On Sat, Oct 14, 2017 at 8:11 PM, Michael Ilseman <milseman at apple.com> wrote:

> I think that “match” is a word to avoid for this, as this doesn’t have
> anything to do with pattern matching, fuzzy matching, etc., while  “equals”
> is precisely the concept we’re using.
>
> What about the name “sequentiallyEquals”? Highlight the fact that we’re
> talking about sequential ordering, i.e. whatever order the sequence
> provides, as opposed to first doing some lexicographical ordering of
> elements themselves.
>
> var a: Set<Int> =  [3, 1, 2]
> a.sequentiallyEquals([1,2,3]) // result depends on application of equality
> in a (potentially-arbitrary) sequential ordering
>
> Whereas I could see the following being more confusing:
>
> var a: Set<Int> =  [3, 1, 2]
> a.lexicographicallyEquals([1,2,3]) // result depends on application of
> equality, but what meaning does “lexicographically” convey?
>
> It’s not immediately clear to someone new to the API that
> “lexicographically” speaks to the nature of the sequence’s
> (potentially-arbitrary) order, irrespective of element. It could give the
> false impression that it speaks to some nature of the elements themselves,
> in this case Ints, which have an obvious lexicographical ordering. I don’t
> know how frequent that misconception would be in practice, but it does
> cause me to do a double-take in this contrived example.

I'm entirely puzzled that apparently large numbers of people believe
lexicographical comparison, a term with a very specific mathematical
definition and no colloquial use, to mean what it does not. I'd like to
avoid inventing Swift-specific new terms for this particular concept which
is not at all unique to Swift. The other plausible terms I can see with
some other use might be "elementwise equals" or "entrywise equals" or
"coordinatewise equals."