[swift-evolution] [Draft] Rename Sequence.elementsEqual

Xiaodi Wu xiaodi.wu at gmail.com
Fri Oct 13 22:56:57 CDT 2017

On Fri, Oct 13, 2017 at 4:52 PM, Christopher Whidden <
christopher.whidden at gmail.com> wrote:

> Using the term “lexicographically” implies to me that the Element type
> must conform to Comparable, as would be required for a total order.  The
> Sequence method you mention, lexicographicallyPrecedes(_:), does have this
> constraint, whereas the method in question for elementsEqual(_:) /
> lexicographicallyEquals(_:) only has the constraint that the Element is
> Equatable.  As an example, an array of simple enums has no default
> lexicographical ordering but is still able to use this method because enums
> (without associated values) are Equatable by default:
>
> *enum* Foo {
>     *case* bar
>     *case* baz
> }
>
> *let* f1 = [Foo.bar, Foo.baz]
> *let* f2 = [Foo.baz, Foo.bar]
>
> f1.elementsEqual(f2) //false
> f1.elementsEqual(f2.reversed()) //true
>
> I also share Jonathan’s concerns that some programmers may misinterpret
> [lexicographically][Equals] to mean [sorted in lexicographical
> order][compare sequence equality], which is not what the method in question
> does.
>
> Xiaodi, I think you are right that Sequence.sequentiallyEquals is to close
> to "==" to use, but I think we have to find something better here.
>
> I’ll recommend that we use the name *Sequence.iterativelyEquals(_:)* since
> this describes the body of the method concisely.  A rough abbreviation of
> this algorithm is:
>
> 1. Iterate over elements in two sequences
> a. Compare elements for equality
>
> “iterativelyEquals" concisely describes this.

That's an intriguing alternative. The key quality to be communicated,
practically speaking, is that if two instances `x` and `y` compare `true`
with `elementsEqual`, then `for i in x { ... }` and `for i in y { ... }`
should be substitutable (if the elements of `x` and `y` are not consumed on
the first iteration), because the semantics of `Equatable` demand that
"equivalence means substitutability." This would be captured by something
like the name you suggest, or to be even more explicit:

```
x.substitutesForThePurposesOfIteratedAccess(for: y)
```

This is intentionally unwieldy to attract others to try to do better :) But
I think it captures the meaning we are going for here.