[swift-evolution] [Draft] Rename Sequence.elementsEqual

Michael Ilseman milseman at apple.com
Fri Oct 13 12:01:23 CDT 2017

> On Oct 12, 2017, at 9:57 PM, Kevin Nattinger via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>
> –∞
>
> 1. I strongly object to the proposed name. It doesn't make it more clear to me what the method does, and is misleading at best. Among other issues, "lexicographical" is defined as alphabet order, and (1) this method applies to objects that are not Strings, and (2) this method's behavior isn't any more well-defined for Strings, so that name is even more of a lie than the original.

FWIW, in the context of String, "lexicographical ordering” does not imply human-written-language-alphabetical order at all, as there’s no universal alphabetical ordering for human language. I.e., such a concrete notion for Strings does not exist, not even theoretically. “Lexicographical” derives its meaning from the mathematical usage[1] which uses that term as well as “alphabet” without being restricted to human-written-language, in which it means some total ordering over a finite set.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexicographical_order