[swift-evolution] /*Let it be*/ func() -> @discardable Bool {} /*Rather Than*/ @discardableResult func() -> Bool {}

Mike Kluev mike.kluev at gmail.com
Tue Oct 10 12:48:49 CDT 2017

On 10 October 2017 at 07:02, Xiaodi Wu <xiaodi.wu at gmail.com> wrote:

> This idea was discussed long ago and the present design was selected. At
> this point in Swift Evolution, source-breaking changes are in scope only if
> the status quo is demonstrably harmful.

changes like discussed are not necessarily source-breaking: you can allow
@discardableResult for a while (along with deprecating it at some point) in
addition to having a newer preferred way - should we decide there is a
preferred way.

on Mon, 09 Oct 2017 20:07:13 +0200 Tino Heth <tinoheth at me.com> wrote:

> As for the line-length, I don’t buy this argument, because placement of
> line breaks is just personal preference, and keywords/annotations created
> by gluing together two words should imho avoided wherever possible (not
> only because the increased character count).

+1. same here on both counts. multi-word compound and @ symbol makes names
ugly. it feels it was done intentionally to indicate a "temporary" "to be
cleaned later" nature of a feature (it is a very good choice for @objc)

and if "fileprivate" is ugly because it is two words glued together (*)
maybe there is another name for it? just "file"? "domestic" ?

Mike
(* the very concept of "file private" is a bit ugly from a traditional
languages perspective).