[swift-evolution] Fix "private extension" (was "Public Access Modifier Respected in Type Definition")

C. Keith Ray keithray at mac.com
Mon Oct 9 13:51:01 CDT 2017

https://developer.apple.com/library/content/documentation/Swift/Conceptual/Swift_Programming_Language/AccessControl.html

Says...

"Alternatively, you can mark an extension with an explicit access-level modifier (for example, private extension) to set a new default access level for all members defined within the extension. This new default can still be overridden within the extension for individual type members."

And...

"Private access restricts the use of an entity to the enclosing declaration, and to extensions of that declaration that are in the same file. Use private access to hide the implementation details of a specific piece of functionality when those details are used only within a single declaration."

So... a private extension where the main entity is in the same file has its members act as "fileprivate", but (we can infer that) a private extension where the main entity is NOT in the same file should have its members act as "private".

Is that inference in accordance with the intentions of Swift's design?

If yes, then the compiler should enforce it. If not, then the documentation should be changed.

Does that summarize the proposal?

--
C. Keith Ray

* https://leanpub.com/wepntk <- buy my book?