[swift-evolution] [Proposal] Random Unification

Xiaodi Wu xiaodi.wu at gmail.com
Wed Oct 4 21:01:38 CDT 2017

On Wed, Oct 4, 2017 at 20:49 Greg Parker via swift-evolution <
swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:

> [...]
>
> On Double:
> static func random()throws -> Double
> static func random(in range: ClosedRange<Double>)throws -> Double
>
> (Everything else we want, like shuffled(), could be built in later
> proposals by calling those functions)
>
> The other option would be to remove the ‘throws’ from the above functions
> (perhaps fatalError-ing), and provide an additional function which can be
> used to check that there is enough entropy (so as to avoid the crash or
> fall back to a worse source when the CSPRNG is unavailable).
>

> Then a second proposal would bring in the concept of RandomSources
> (whatever we call them), which can return however many random bytes you ask
> for… and a protocol for types which know how to initialize themselves from
> those bytes.  That might be spelled like 'static func random(using:
> RandomSource)->Self'.  As a convenience, the source would also be able to
> create FixedWidthIntegers and Doubles (both with and without a range), and
> would also have the coinFlip() and oneIn(UInt)->Bool functions. Most types
> should be able to build themselves off of that.  There would be a default
> source which is built from the first protocol.
>
> I also really think we should have a concept of Repeatably-Random as a
> subprotocol for the second proposal.  I see far too many shipping apps
> which have bugs due to using arc4Random when they really needed a
> repeatable source (e.g. patterns and lines jump around when you resize
> things). If it was an easy option, people would use it when appropriate.
> This would just mean a sub-protocol which has an initializer which takes a
> seed, and the ability to save/restore state (similar to CGContexts).
>

> I like this kind of layering of functionality and proposals. I would
> additionally separate the fundamental CSPRNG interface from the fool-proof
> easy functions that naive users will find on Stack Overflow.
>
> The "easy" functions should:
>
> * Trap on any error without throwing. Sophisticated users may be able to
> do something about entropy failure, so the fundamental CSPRNG interface
> needs to provide errors, but the easy function should either degrade
> somewhat (if entropy is present but insufficient) or just die (if entropy
> is wholly absent or nearly so).
>
> * Remove the range-less function. Naive users often write things like
> `Int.random() % 100`, which unbeknownst to them is biased. Providing only
> the ranged interface nudges naive users toward correct usage.
>
> * Provide an "easy" way to get some random bytes instead of a random
> number. Perhaps a Data initializer that returns random-filled bytes of the
> requested length. This helps make up for the lack of a range-less function
> on FixedWidthInteger.
>
> The "easy" functions should get the best names: Int.random(in:),
> Data.random(length:), etc. The fundamental CSPRNG interface should have an
> interface that is less friendly and less discoverable.

Agree, this is a very tractable set of functions for an initial
implementation. In fact, with these primitives and maybe some shuffling and
choosing conveniences in the stdlib, I see the remainder as useful-to-haves
that may or may not be critical for inclusion in the stdlib vs more
appropriate for a dedicated math library (more to follow on that thought in
a little while).