[swift-evolution] Pitch: Cross-module inlining and specialization

Ole Begemann ole at oleb.net
Wed Oct 4 11:51:08 CDT 2017

How does @inlinable relate to the @_specialize attribute described in
https://github.com/apple/swift/pull/6797 (original swift-evolution post
about it:
https://lists.swift.org/pipermail/swift-dev/Week-of-Mon-20160314/001449.html)?

Here's how I understand it:

@_specialize emits the specialized generic code (for the types specified
in the @_specialize declaration) in the module binary (module A). The
downside is that the author of module A has to decide for which types
they want to emit specialized code. Clients of module A that need
specialization for other types are out of luck.

@inlinable enables the optimizer to emit specialized code in the
binaries that import module A. It shifts the decision what to specialize
where it belongs (and where it can be made).

Is this understanding correct? Will @inlinable cover everything we'd
need @_specialize for, or is the plan to make @_specialize public as
well in the future?

Ole