[swift-evolution] Fix "private extension" (was "Public Access Modifier Respected in Type Definition")

Tony Allevato tony.allevato at gmail.com
Mon Oct 2 20:52:18 CDT 2017

Thanks for hoisting this out into its own thread, Jordan. I was hesitant to
elaborate more on another access level thread :)

I think the change should absolutely be made. Even though the "private"
keyword occurs at the file level, the description of the feature in the
Swift documentation simply states: "you can mark an extension with an
explicit access-level modifier to set a new default access level for all
members defined within the extension." To me, that implies that "private
extension Foo { func bar() }" should be identical to "extension Foo {
private func bar() }", but today it becomes equivalent to "extension Foo {
fileprivate func bar() }".

That seems fundamentally broken, because (1) it's inconsistent, (2)
"private extension" and "fileprivate extension" are two ways of saying the
same thing, non-intuitively, and (3) there's no way for someone to use the
shorthand syntax to take advantage of the new meaning of private within
same-file type extensions.

While I personally never use the shorthand extension access level feature
(because I prefer the explicit form, and because of situations like this
one), I definitely think it should be consistent for people who do want to
use it.

I wonder how much existing code would be affected by this change. Do people
use "private extension" when they really want "fileprivate extension"? I
would hope the number of users affected would be few, at least.