[swift-evolution] A path forward on rationalizing unicode identifiers and operators

Xiaodi Wu xiaodi.wu at gmail.com
Mon Oct 2 06:56:11 CDT 2017

This is why I’m advocating for the sections of the previous draft that deal
with this issue to be maintained going forward. In that document and in the
links provided in that document, there are very extensive previous
discussions on lookalike characters and invisibles.

No need to rehash this very complex topic again. I will just say that are
languages for which invisible modifiers are essential, but there are
well-defined Unicode guidelines about restricting their use so as to
maximize security without impeding legitimate use cases. Lookalikes are
dealt with by Unicode in several flavors, and again the previous draft
discusses why a certain flavor of normalization is most appropriate for
Swift.