[swift-evolution] A path forward on rationalizing unicode identifiers and operators

David Sweeris davesweeris at mac.com
Sat Sep 30 18:59:41 CDT 2017

> On Sep 30, 2017, at 16:13, Xiaodi Wu via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>
> I’m happy to participate in the reshaping of the proposal. It would be nice to gather a group of people again to help drive it forward.
>
> That said, it’s unclear to me that superscript T is clearly an operator, any more than would be superscript H (Hermitian), superscript 2, superscript 3, etc. But at any rate, this would be discussion for the future workgroup.

Superscript T’s only regular use that I’m aware of is as the transpose operator for vectors and matrices. I’m certainly not omniscient, though.

Are we going to attempt to distinguish between characters like these two?
ⁿ (SUPERSCRIPT LATIN SMALL LETTER N Unicode: U+207F, UTF-8: E2 81 BF)
n (LATIN SMALL LETTER N Unicode: U+006E, UTF-8: 6E), with a superscript format applied

- Dave Sweerisn