[swift-evolution] Idea: Public Access Modifier Respected in Type Definition

Jonathan Hull jhull at gbis.com
Thu Sep 28 19:31:10 CDT 2017

+1000

This is the way it always should have worked… and it is the way my brain still expects it to work.  All of the extraneous “Public”s clutter the code and make it much more difficult to read.  Without it, the relatively few properties marked Internal or Private stand out.

I know there is the argument about making people think about whether they want to expose each item… but it doesn’t work that way.  Once you assign someone a rote task (assigning Public to most of the things), you lose the effect of having them think.  From a cognitive psychology lens, when you give the brain a number of decisions to make in a row that are very similar, it will naturally make that task more efficient by automating as much of it as possible (i.e. thinking about it less).  Mistakes become much more likely as a result.

Tl;dr:  Despite the myth/intention that the current setup makes you think about the problem more, it actually does the opposite and leads to an increased risk of error.

Thanks,
Jon