[swift-evolution] [Proposal] Random Unification

Jonathan Hull jhull at gbis.com
Tue Sep 26 06:59:49 CDT 2017

Instead of “UnsafeRandomSource”, I would call it “ReproducibleRandomSource”.  I have also found that you often need to be able to “rewind” a reproducible random source for graphics applications:

	protocol ReproducibleRandomSource : RandomSource {
		init(seed: UInt64)
		func mark()->Int
		func returnToMark(_ mark:Int) //These could use something like an index instead of Int. My version just returns 1 the first time you call mark(), 2 the second time, etc...
	}

Also, I find that there are just a few primitive types I actually need from a random source:

• Double (full coverage of possible values)
• Double (in range of 0…1)
• UInt32

The following are also nice to have (built from the above), and commonly used:

• Bool / CoinFlip
• Int (positive value)
• FixedWidthInteger (of various sizes.  Full coverage of possible values)
• Character/String
• CGFloat

Any other type can be built from these building blocks.  I have a RandomSourceCreatable protocol which allows exactly that.  Once you have that, you can put a method on random source which allows you to create any conforming type:

	extension RandomSource {
		func next<T:RandomSourceCreatable>(_ type: T.Type)->T
	}

This is extremely useful to create colors, offsets, etc…

One thing we need to definitely consider are constraints which people may want on the random value.  For example, should an Int be positive?  Should it be in a certain range?  I have a “constraints” parameter on my RandomSourceCreatable protocol to handle this, and it works well, but I am not 100% happy with the ergonomics.  I also have a variant with an “in range:” parameter that works for simple linear types like Ints and Floats.  We could do something like:

	extension RandomSource {
		func next<T:RandomRangeCreatable>(_ type: T.Type, in range: ClosedRange<T>) -> T
	}

Finally, don’t underestimate the usefulness of coinFlip and func oneIn(_ number:UInt)->Bool.  They let you quickly branch based on a random value:

	if source.oneIn(100) { //This will be true roughly 1 in 100 times
		//Do something occasionally
	}

Thanks,
Jon