[swift-evolution] Standard ReactiveSteam definitions for Swift

Georgios Moschovitis george.moschovitis at icloud.com
Sun Sep 24 06:45:11 CDT 2017

> To me, I feel like this would best be implemented as part of Actor model concurrency – taking inputs and emitting outputs is fundamentally what Actors *do*.

Yes, I think some form of ‘reactive stream’ could be a prerequisite for the Actor model (an not the other way around).

> As for naming... I would *not* recommend using `Flow` it is far too generic, has been used in very different contexts and doesn't match terminology in the field.

On the contrary, it’s not overloaded at all.
It is used in related concepts like DataFlow, ‘flow-based’ programming, etc.

Also, from the dictionary:

flow, noun
a steady, continuous stream or supply of something.

sounds like a great synonym for the (reserved?) stream name.

> My personal vote is that this topic simply can't be addressed by the standard library at this point. This is something where interoperability with Swift's Actor Model should be a primary concern and until it's done, any action now is only likely to be a headache later.

I think this is a central concept that among other things is useful in concurrency. It should be tackled sooner rather than later.

-g.