[swift-evolution] Different types for getter and setter

Tony Allevato tony.allevato at gmail.com
Tue Sep 19 11:34:40 CDT 2017

There have been a couple times where I've wanted something like this:

1) A nil-resettable property without having to resort to making it an IUO.
It would be nice to have the setter able to take a T? but the getter return
T, and the setter would provide a default value in the event that it
receives nil.

2) Once I was writing an API that would keep an array of things in a
property, but I also wanted a shorthand version where the user could set it
with a single value and have the setter transform that into the array
internally. Looking back though, that's not really defensible; it's easy
enough for the call site to just add two characters and write "foo.property
= [x]", and I probably wouldn't stand by that example today.