[swift-evolution] [Concurrency] Theoretical question about actors vs async

Benjamin Garrigues benjamin.garrigues at gmail.com
Mon Sep 18 17:03:51 CDT 2017

Thanks, i guess i didn't realize that async/await was in fact conceptually decoupled from the underlying task scheduling and execution mechanism, and that the gist really was in the state machine creation ( reading a bit more about c# implementation helped me understand it as well).

My question regarding async / await semantic on top of actors was also answered by the elixir Task api, which provides those functions as well, by spawning special child actors.
Which makes me think that maybe this api could be used as an inspiration for swift, so i'll just put the link here https://hexdocs.pm/elixir/Task.html just in case.