[swift-evolution] Question about async await

Pierre Habouzit pierre at habouzit.net
Mon Sep 18 00:57:20 CDT 2017

> On Sep 17, 2017, at 3:52 AM, Trevör ANNE DENISE via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>
> Hello everyone,
>
> I have a few questions about async await in Swift.
>
> Say that you have :
>
> func foo() async {
> 	print("Hey")
> 	await bar()
> 	print("How are you ?")
> }
>
> First of all, am I right to say that :
> 1) If the bar function wasn't an async function, the thread would be blocked until bar returns, at this point print("How are you ?") would be executed and its only after that that the function calling foo() would get back "control"

I don't think you can quite call await without marking foo() as async (?).

> 2) Here (with async bar function), if bar() takes some time to execute,

Not quite, `await bar()` is afaict syntactic sugar for:

bar {
    printf("How are you ?");
}

Where bar used to take a closure before, the compiler is just making it for you. bar itself will be marked async and will handle its asynchronous nature e.g. using dispatch or something else entirely.
This has nothing to do with "time".