[swift-evolution] Problems with generics - should be fixed for Xcode 9?

Joanna Carter joanna at carterconsulting.org.uk
Sat Sep 16 08:32:09 CDT 2017

Greetings

Old chestnut, sort of partially solved but still problems.

Now we can nest types in generic types, what I want is :

class Event<typeT>
{
  class Args
  {
    public static let empty = Args() // error : Static stored properties not supported in generic types

But the static let is not directly in the generic class.

So, I end up doing another convoluted workaround in the shape of :

class Event<typeT>
{
  class Args
  {
    public static var empty: Args
    {
      return Args()

The main difference is that I have to create a new instance on every call to Args.empty instead of returning the same one.

Is this an oversight or as intended, with the hope of fixing it in a future version

Joanna

--
Joanna Carter
Carter Consulting