[swift-evolution] [Proposal] Explicit Synthetic Behaviour

Tony Allevato tony.allevato at gmail.com
Wed Sep 13 12:44:59 CDT 2017

On Wed, Sep 13, 2017 at 10:03 AM Vladimir.S <svabox at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> for
> >     Equatable/Hashable. Why we don't have a EquatingKeys/HashingKeys
> option for them in
> >     symmetry with Codable? Why Codable already has a method to exclude
> fields, but for
> >     Equatable/Hashable we are discussing some future esoteric
> '@transient' modifier(which
> >     should describe the behaviour and destination of the property in
> details for compiler
> >     and conformed protocols so all will "just work") ?
> >     How this future '@transient' will live together with current
> CodingKeys ?
> >
> >     IMO the right solution will be:
> >     1. introduce 'deriving'-like keyword to explicitly express that you
> request an
> >     auto-synthesize of protocol requirements
> >     2. introduce EquatingKeys/HashingKeys to be able to say which
> properties should be
> >     included in generated requirements
> >     3. Think what kind of '@transient' marker could be introduced in
> future to replace
> >     the using of CodingKeys/EquatingKeys/HashingKeys.
> >

> > I don't agree with Xiaodi here that a hypothetical
> EquatableKey/HashableKey would be
> > the same thing as CodingKey.
> >
> > CodingKey embeds other semantic information, like the string or integer
> key to use
> > when encoding/decoding a value in a container. The cases of a CodingKey
> enum are also
> > actual values that are passed around to other encoder/decoder
> methods—they're not
> > *just* there for the synthesized code.
> >

> Can't agree. Yes, they are not *just* for the synthesized code, they have
> additional
> meaning for _Codable_ protocol. But if you read this
>
> https://developer.apple.com/documentation/foundation/archives_and_serialization/encoding_and_decoding_custom_types
> , first you find regarding CodingKeys is :
> "
> Choose Properties to Encode and Decode Using Coding Keys
>
>   When this enumeration is present, its cases serve as the authoritative
> list of
> properties that must be included when instances of a codable type are
> encoded or
> decoded. The names of the enumeration cases should match the names you've
> given to
> the corresponding properties in your type.
>
> Omit properties from the CodingKeys enumeration if they won't be present
> when
> decoding instances, or if certain properties shouldn't be included in an
> encoded
> representation.
> "
>
> So I'd say, that exclusion of fields from participate in Codable, is main
> or at least
> high important role of CodingKeys. And I can't see why
> EquatableKeys/HashableKeys
> can't play the same role(without additional meaning CodingKeys has for

Well, no. You can't just brush aside all the conditions where using a type
doesn't make sense because there's one place where they act similarly.

CodingKeys contain *data*. That data is used at *runtime*. They are
legitimate values that are passed around as the inputs to other functions
like the encoders and decoders. It's true that the compiler uses that enum
to decide what to synthesize, but the compiler also uses *the values
themselves* in that synthesized implementation.

The hypothetical Equatable/HashableKeys enum would not contain any data. It
would not be used at runtime. It would not be passed around as the inputs
to other functions. It would solely be used by the compiler to determine
which properties were included or excluded in synthesis, but the compiler
would never use its values in the synthesized implementation. By that
definition, it simply does not make sense for it to be a type in the type
system at all, with all the additional type metadata and runtime support
that making it so would bring. If no user—not even the synthesized
implementation—would ever instantiate or operate on that type in any
meaningful way, then there is no reason for it to exist.