[swift-evolution] [Proposal] Explicit Synthetic Behaviour

Gwendal Roué gwendal.roue at gmail.com
Wed Sep 13 06:20:27 CDT 2017

>> If I take on my free time exposing issues, it's because I hope that maybe some reader will consider them with proper attention, then maybe agree that there is an issue worth investigating, and then many conclude that a made decision has to be reverted. That's a multi-step process. And that process starts with a proper read of the issues that have been exposed.
>
> Keep in mind that by posting to this list, you are also demanding other people spend their free time on the issue. And again, these issues have already been discussed. If a point is made once but doesn't carry the day, repeating it again and again doesn't make it more convincing.

The fact that you fail at evaluating the relevance of an issue, as exemplified by the fact that you never answer directly to the described problems, does not make that issue moot. Instead, it may well end in the ears of people who have been more engaged in the subject: Tony Allevato as the author of SE-0185, and Chris Lattner the review manager.

Their feedback would be especially appreciated, considering that the SE-0185 acceptance rationale (https://lists.swift.org/pipermail/swift-evolution-announce/2017-August/000400.html) doesn't address the issues I'm please to repeat for the interested readers:

> For reference, here are some issues with implicit synthesis:
>
> - https://lists.swift.org/pipermail/swift-evolution/Week-of-Mon-20170911/039704.html
> - https://lists.swift.org/pipermail/swift-evolution/Week-of-Mon-20170911/039710.html

Gwendal