[swift-evolution] [Proposal] Explicit Synthetic Behaviour

Xiaodi Wu xiaodi.wu at gmail.com
Tue Sep 12 05:01:03 CDT 2017

On Tue, Sep 12, 2017 at 00:06 Gwendal Roué via swift-evolution <
swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:

> [...]
> providing its custom implementation.
>
> So the code synthesis out of a mere protocol adoption *is* implicit.
>
> Let's imagine a pie. The whole pie is the set of all Swift types. Some
> slice of that pie is the subset of those types that satisfy the conditions
> that allow one of our protocols to be synthesized. Now that slice of pie
> can be sliced again, into the subset of types where (1) the synthesized
> implementation is correct both in terms of strict value and of business
> logic, and (2) the subset where it is correct in terms of strict value but
> is not the right business logic because of something like transient data.
>

> Yes.
>
> What we have to consider is, how large is slice (2) relative to the whole
> pie, *and* what is the likelihood that developers are going to mistakenly
> conform to the protocol without providing their own implementation, *and*
> is the added complexity worth protecting against this case?
>

> That's quite a difficult job: do you think you can evaluate this
> likelihood?
>
> Explicit synthesis has big advantage: it avoids this question entirely.
>
> Remember that the main problem with slide (2) is that developers can not
> *learn* to avoid it.
>
> For each type is slide (2) there is a probability that it comes into
> existence with a forgotten explicit protocol adoption. And this probability
> will not go down as people learn Swift and discover the existence of slide
> (2). Why? because this probability is driven by unavoidable human behaviors:
> - developer doesn't see the problem (a programmer mistake)
> - the developper plans to add explicit conformance later and happens to
> forget (carelessness)
> - a developper extends an existing type with a transient property, and
> doesn't add the explicit protocol conformance that has become required.
>
> Case 2 and 3 bite even experienced developers. And they can't be improved
> by learning.
>
> Looks like the problem is better defined as an ergonomics issue, now.
>
> If someone can show me something that points to accidental synthesized
> implementations being a significant barrier to smooth development in Swift,
> I'm more than happy to consider that evidence. But right now, this all
> seems hypothetical ("I'm worried that...") and what's being proposed is
> adding complexity to the language (an entirely new axis of protocol
> conformance) that would (1) solve a problem that may not exist to any great
> degree, and (2) does not address the fact that if that problem does indeed
> exist, then the same problem just as likely exists with certain
> non-synthesized default implementations.
>

> There is this sample code by Thorsten Seitz with a cached property which
> is quite simple and clear :
> https://lists.swift.org/pipermail/swift-evolution/Week-of-Mon-20170911/039684.html
>
> This is the sample code that had me enter the "worried" camp.

Sorry, I fail to see what the problem is in that example. A method was
invoked that changed a stored property of one instance. Therefore, it’s no
longer equal to the other instance. If you want a custom notion of
equality, you should implement it yourself. In the absence of such, the
_default_ notion of equality is pretty clear.