[swift-evolution] [Proposal] Explicit Synthetic Behaviour

Tony Allevato tony.allevato at gmail.com
Mon Sep 11 14:21:30 CDT 2017

On Mon, Sep 11, 2017 at 11:56 AM Thorsten Seitz via swift-evolution <
swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:

> I think I do understand Haravikk's argument (actually it seems quite
> straightforward to me).
>
> An example should be:
>
> struct Foo : Equatable {
>     var x: Int
>     var cachedLabel: String? = nil
>
>     init(x: Int) {
>         self.x = x
>     }
>
>     mutating func label() {
>         if let label = cachedLabel {
>             return label
>         }
>         let label = calculateLabel()
>         cachedLabel = label
>         return cachedLabel
>     }
> }
>
> var foo1 = Foo(x: 1)
> var foo2 = Foo(x: 1)
> foo1 == foo2 // true
> var label = foo1.label()
> foo1 == foo2 // now false, due to cachedString being falsely included in
> the comparison
>
> The problem is that the developer was not required to implement the
> protocol and so might forget it.
> The difference to other default implementations is that those use the
> protocol itself as building blocks and so are correct with regards to the
> protocol's semantics, whereas the synthesized equality reaches deeply into
> the private innards of a struct and therefore is much more likely to be
> wrong as in the example above.

The example above wouldn't actually get a synthesized ==, because
Optional<T> doesn't conform to Equatable. We can't get that until we get
conditional conformances.

But if we ignore that, we see that the user has opted-in to the synthesized
== by explicitly claiming that their type conforms to a protocol that
contains a default implementation. Their decision—either by intention or
forgetful omission—to not provide a custom implementation means that the
default behavior will be used, as would any default method implementation.

I don't find the argument that "someone might say that their type conforms
to Equatable to shut the compiler up elsewhere and then forget to fill in
the implementation" very compelling—that's clearly programmer error. The
same could be true for any default method. I could say that my type
conforms to protocol X which comes with a default implementation of foo()
that is inappropriate for my type for some reason and then forget to fill
it in later. The argument that Equatable accesses properties that are not
among its requirements doesn't really make a difference—someone could just
as easily design a protocol X with some non-synthesized default method
implementations that are incorrect for some class of types (for example,
maybe there are preconditions on other requirements that can only be
verified at runtime).

If people want to argue that we need to distinguish between synthesized
default implementations and non-synthesized default implementations, it
would be helpful to provide evidence that there is a significantly large
class of bugs that will be difficult to diagnose and resolve because of
synthesized default implementations that warrants the creation of a
*completely new axis of protocol conformance* that will increase the
complexity of the language.