[swift-evolution] [Proposal] Random Unification

Jonathan Hull jhull at gbis.com
Sat Sep 9 16:26:21 CDT 2017

Here is my wishlist:

• A protocol which allows random instances of any type which conforms (they would init from some number of random bytes passed to them… or better yet, they would be passed a source which can give them however many bytes of randomness they need)
• A choice between fast and secure randomness (and possibly other implementations)
• The optional ability to seed so that randomness can be reproduced when needed

It would also be nice to be able to constrain the created instances in some way.  For scalars like Float and Int, this would mean being able to define a range which the random value falls in.  For dimensional constructs (e.g. colors, points, sizes) you want to be able to constrain each axis individually.  This is actually the hardest part to get right, especially if you are trying to keep things secure.  Even for graphics applications where security isn’t the issue, biases in the randomness added by naive approaches like using % can be apparent to the eye.

I think what I would like to see is a protocol defining a source of randomness, which does that hard part for you (written in mail):

protocol RandomnessSource {
	init(seed: UInt64)
	func randomBytes(count: Int) -> [UInt64]

	//Default Imp of below provided from above
	func randomInt(in: ClosedRange<Int>? = nil) -> Int  //nil means don’t constrain ( = nil is shorthand for convenience func randomInt() )
	func randomUInt(in: ClosedRange<UInt>? = nil) -> UInt
	func randomDouble(in: ClosedRange<Double>? = nil) -> Double
	func randomBool() -> Bool
}

…and then a protocol where a type can use that source to create random instances of themselves:

protocol Randomizable {
	static func random(_ source: RandomnessSource)
	static var fastRandom:Self {get}  //Uses default “fast” source (default imp provided)
	static var secureRandom:Self {get} //Uses default “secure” source (default imp provided)
}

protocol RangeRandomizable: Randomizable {
	static func random(_ source: RandomnessSource, in: ClosedRange<Self>?)
	static func fastRandom(in: ClosedRange<Self>?) -> Self  //Uses default “fast” source (default imp provided)
	static func secureRandom(in: ClosedRange<Self>?) -> Self //Uses default “secure” source (default imp provided)

	//Also provides default imp for random(_ source: RandomnessSource) {random(source, in: nil)}, etc...
}

Then things like points/sizes can use scalar types as building blocks:

extension CGFloat: RangeRandomizable {
	static func random(_ source: RandomnessSource, in:ClosedRange<CGFloat>){
		let doubleRange = //Convert range to double
		return CGFloat(source.randomDouble(in: doubleRange))

extension CGSize: Randomizable {
	static func random(source: RandomnessSource){
		return CGSize(width: CGFloat.random(source), height: CGFloat.random(source))
	}

	//Can add convenience functions to bound width/height to range/constant
}

What I do behind the scenes in my own protocol is take a dictionary of named constraints (instead of a range) because I need a common interface for all dimensions:

public enum RandomSourceConstraint<T> {
    case none
    case constant(T)
    case min(T)