[swift-evolution] [Proposal] Random Unification

Kevin Nattinger swift at nattinger.net
Fri Sep 8 12:31:47 CDT 2017

IMO, we should have a `Random` or `RandomGenerator` interface and the stdlib can provide a `SystemRandom` that wraps arc4*/random(), and maybe a cryptographically secure one too (MT19937?).

protocol RandomGenerator {
    func uniform() -> Int
    func uniform() -> Double
    func uniformBytes(count: Int) -> Data
}

Then we could add things like, e.g. a protocol extension to generate normally distributed numbers (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Box%E2%80%93Muller_transform <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Box%E2%80%93Muller_transform>).

extension RandomGenerator {
    func normal<T: FloatingPoint>() -> (T, T) {
        // ...