[swift-evolution] [Pitch] Synthesized static enum property to iterate over cases

Matthew Johnson matthew at anandabits.com
Fri Sep 8 11:44:26 CDT 2017

> [...]
>>
>> So, enums with associated values are probably left unsynthesized. But the interesting thing about having this be a standard protocol is that there would be nothing stopping a user from conforming to it and implementing it manually, not only for enums but for other types as well. The potential may exist for some interesting algorithms by doing that, but I haven't thought that far ahead.
>>
>> There are probably some things I'm missing here, but I'd love to hear other people's thoughts on it.
>
> There are some things I really like about this approach, but it doesn’t quite align with a lot of the usage I have seen for manually declared `allValues` pattern.
>
> One of the most common ways I have seen `allValues` used is as a representation of static sections or rows backing table or collection views.  Code written like this will take the section or item index provided by a data source or delegate method and index into an `allValues` array to access the corresponding value.  These methods usually access one or more members of the value or pass it along to something else (often a cell) which does so.
>
> If we introduce synthesis that doesn’t support this use case I think a lot people will be frustrated so my opinion is that we need to support it.  This means users need a way to request synthesis of a `Collection` with an `Int` index.  Obviously doing this solves the `count` problem.  The collection would not need to be eager.  It could be implemented to produce values on demand rather than storing them.
>
> Great points! I was only considering the table view/section case where the enum had raw values 0..<count, but I do imagine it's possible that someone could just define `enum Section { case header, content, footer }` and then want to turn an IndexPath value into the appropriate Section.
>
> On the other hand, though, isn't that what raw value enums are for? If the user needs to do what you're saying—map specific integers to enum values—shouldn't they do so by giving those cases raw values and calling init?(rawValue:), not by indexing into a collection? Especially since they can already do that today, and the only thing they're missing is being able to retrieve the count, which a "PrecountedSequence" mentioned above, or something like it, could also provide.

First, I’m making observations about what people are doing, not what they could do.

Second, the raw value may not correspond to 0-based indices.  It might not even be an Int.  There is no reason to couple this common use case of `allValues` to `Int` raw values with 0-based indices.

Third, `init(rawValue:)` is a failable initializer and would require a force unwrap.  If the raw values *are* 0-based integers this is similar to the collection bounds check that would be necessary, but it moves it into user code.  People don’t like writing force unwraps.

> My main concern with providing a Collection with Int indices is that, at some fundamental/theoretical level, it feels like it only makes sense for enums with contiguous numeric raw values. For other kinds of enums, including those where the enum is just a "bag of things" without raw values, it feels artificial.

Sure, that’s why I proposed a couple of options for addressing both use cases.  I think both have merit.  I also think we need to recognize that most people are asking for a replacement for manually writing a static array and won’t be satisfied unless we provide a solution where the synthesized property behaves similarly.

> Of course there might be some cases where a manual implementation is necessary but implementing `Collection` is not desirable for one reason or another.  One way to solve both of these use cases would be to have a protocol hierarchy but that seems like it might be excessively complex for a feature like this.  Another way might be to take advantage of the fact that in the use case mentioned above people are usually working with the concrete type.  We could allow the compiler to synthesize an implementation that *exceeds* the requirement of the protocol such that the synthesized `AllValuesSequence` is actually a `Collection where Index == Int`.  I’m not sure which option is better.
>
> I would also like to discuss enums with associated values.  It would certainly be reasonable to disallow synthesis for these types in an initial implementation.  I don’t know of any use cases off the top of my head (although I expect some good ones do exist).  That said, I don’t think synthesis would be prohibitive for enums with associated values so long as the type of all associated values conforms to `ValueEnumerable`.  We should probably support synthesis for these types eventually, possibly in the initial implementation if there are no significant implementation barriers.
>
> I mentioned some of those barriers above. One issue is that synthesizing the code to lazily (i.e., reëntrantly) generate a sequence whose elements are the Cartesian products of other sequences is non-trivial. (Coroutines/yield would make this a piece of cake.)

The good news is that we might be in luck on this front in the Swift 5 timeframe.  :)

> The other is the issue with recursive enums, like the BinaryTree example, where the compiler has to know to synthesize them in a particular order or else it will recurse indefinitely before even producing its first value. However, this could be addressed by simply forbidding automatic synthesis of enums that have an indirect case, which is probably a reasonable limitation.

Yeah, that seems like a reasonable limitation.